Course 960-584 Home Page
- Final exam 15 Dec at 6 pm, usual room.
- New info: HW 6 due date moved back by 1 week.
- Office hourse 3-4 Wed 3 Dec are canceled.
- Supplimental material now contains material on the hypergeometric
distribution, including a calculation of its variance.
- The text of the movie question on HW3 says that negatively--reviewed
movies are denoted by N. They are actually denoted by C.
- An old version of the final is available,
- Solutions to some old homework questions are available.
- I'll lead a tutorial on SAS from 5 to 6 Mon. evening, 15 Sept,
- We have a TA for the course, Qi Xia, and here office hours are 10-11
Wed, 5-6 Tues. Her office is Hill Center 556.
- A midterm exam from last year is available to help students know what format to expect on the exam.
- Here is the first exam .
- Office hours: Monday, 4:30--5:30,
Wednesday 4--5, Monday 2:30--3:30
960-484 is presumed. The text,
Devore and Peck (1997) Statistics: The Exploration and
Analysis of Data Edn. 3 (Belmont, CA: Duxbury Press) is a good start.
Background reading for lectures is
- Lecture 1: Chapter 5.
- Lecture 2: Section 7.3 and Chapter 8.
- Data sets
nickel data ,
compressed version of the nickel data set,
the description of the continuous
Ille-et-Vilaine data missing from the link on the above page. I
extracted this from the shar file that you can find at the bottom of
the data sets page. The standardized rates for
nasal and lung cancer in Wales (Appendix 9 of BDII) is also available.
Another source of data
sets that will be used in homework problems.
- ICD-9 coding system
ICD-7 coding system
- The death penalty data,
the crash data,
the prostate data,
the ulcer data,
the steel data,
the bacteria count data,
the oil data,
and the falls data for one of the homeworks.
- Other data sets can be found on the statlib web site.
- The British government
- If you have a hard time reading the pdf files I put up,
and are using Windows, you might try downloading
gs5.50, a postscript reader that will also read pdf.